Youth & Young Life Leader
At Neighbourhood, we believe Church is not a building but a living community. Our community is focused on learning about Jesus and growing in relationship with each other. We have a friendly and relaxed atmosphere with great music, relevant messages, and lots of opportunities to bless our city. We run weekly programs for teens, care groups for families, and various other ministries.
Young Life is a world-class organization for adolescents. Our staff and volunteers enter the world of kids, focusing on what matters to them — fun, adventure, friendship and a sense of significance. In doing so, we earn the privilege of talking to them about something that we believe matters most of all — the truth about God and His love for them.
NC and YL are seeking a passionate individual to fill a full time position in which they will partner with both organizations in order to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the youth of Nanaimo.
If this opportunity calls to you, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you have any questions or inquiries about the position please contact Connor Edwards (Young Life) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Travis Barbour (Lead pastor, Neighbourhood Church).
The Youth & Young Life (Y&YL) Leader will partner with the Neighbourhood Church (NC) and Young Life (YL) to expand the reach of the gospel to unchurched youth and to nurture the spiritual growth of the youth who choose to call NC home. In particular, the Y&YL Leader will be responsible for and gifted in the areas of:
- Communicating God’s Word, proclaiming the gospel and revealing the person of Jesus Christ with clear, biblical, and relevant teaching to adolescent students.
- Pursuing the vision of Young Life to love teenagers in their world and encourage them to know Jesus Christ.
- Pursuing the vision of Neighbourhood Church: to nurture the spiritual growth of NC’s youth and help NC be a place that integrates youth into our community
Young Life Ministry
- Build genuine relationships with unchurched youth in our community
- Develop and implement an effective strategy and plan to recruit, train, and deploy volunteers in the local area
- Disciple and mentor volunteers and youth, for spiritual formation
- Actively participate in a 2-year training community
- Develop fundraising skills by raising a portion of the budget determined by the local YL Area Director
NC Youth Ministry
- Establishing a regularly scheduled youth group night for middle school aged youth at the church.
- Creating an encouraging and nurturing home-church environment for youth of all ages where they can thrive in their Christian walk. The following is a breakdown of the ministry duties designed to foster this environment:
- Ministry to Church Youth
- In discussion with the Pastor this may include one or more of the following: a regular church youth meeting; a Sunday morning Bible study/discipleship class; one-on-one mentorship of particular youth; equipping of adult volunteers to expand ministry to youth.
- The Pastor will work to support and offer guidance to the Y&YL Worker ensuring that this area of ministry is neither neglected nor “takes over.”
- Initiating special activities (e.g. hiking, swimming, etc) as resources and giftings of worker allow)
- Weekly staff meeting with Pastor for prayer and to set and review goals.
- Email and other communication with youth and parents regarding youth ministry.
- Attendance and Participation in Sunday Morning Services
- Attendance at Sunday worship services is expected unless on holiday or away on ministry-related work (e.g. YL Camp). As attendance is required, it will be considered paid time.
- Some participation in Sunday morning services will occur and will be worked out by mutual agreement with the Pastor. This will include providing leadership to Sunday morning youth ministry (e.g. youth Sunday school). Other Possibilities may include giving the welcome & announcements or, if desired, preaching on occasion.
- Ministry to Church Youth
Maintaining Character Attributes
- Spiritual: Demonstrate a mature, life-giving relationship with Christ and a commitment to serve God in the power of the Holy Spirit. Be devoted to prayer and study of the Scriptures, and be passionate in promoting faith and spiritual formation in both believers and unbelievers.
- Personal: Display integrity and authenticity. Show humility and humor, patience and an even temper. Be emotionally self-aware and able to accept the support of others in maintaining good self-care.
- Interpersonal: Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of others. Be approachable, caring, gentle and hospitable. Encourage and equip others, and care for the hurting and the lost.
- Leadership: Demonstrate vision, strength and energy but lead as a shepherd – build consensus and unity, working in and through teams by mentoring, motivating and mobilizing others. Respect established directions, including church processes, bylaws and the ethical standards set out in both YL policy and the Church.
- Working Style: Be self-motivated and organized, manage time well, and be able to prioritize tasks and delegate when appropriate. Thrives in a team setting. Maintain appropriate balance between work life and personal life.
- The Y&YL Worker will report to the Young Life Area Director in all matters concerning Young Life ministry and to the Pastor of Church in all matters described under “Youth Ministry” above.
- The YL Area Director and Pastor will meet together with the Y&YL Worker quarterly for support and to foster a healthy partnership.
- An annual review will be performed by the Pastor and YL Area Director
- Although not a requirement, post-secondary Christian and/or university education is an asset, and the successful applicant will be encouraged to pursue further training and education.
 This would include ministering to NC’s Sr youth through YL